At this time all HCV waiting lists are closed.
Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program
The Housing Authority of Monroe County administers a Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program, which is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to provide rental subsidy to very low-income families, the elderly and the disabled persons who wish to live in privately owned housing and receive rental assistance.
An eligible applicant is issued a voucher in an amount determined by income and family composition. Privately owned housing must meet Housing Quality Standards (HQS) to ensure the health and safety of program participants.
The Housing Authority of Monroe County currently administers 717 vouchers, 25 Mainstream Vouchers, 8 Family Unification Vouchers, 15 Shelter Plus Care.
HCV’s are portable meaning a participant may move anywhere within the United States or its territories and continue to receive assistance, provided that there is Housing Authority in the respective area accepting vouchers.
In order to participate in the HCV Program, the landlord and the participant must comply with certain HUD regulations.
More information on the HCV Program is available at HUD’s website http://www.hud.gov.
LANDLORD questions email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PAY THE AMOUNT OF RENT DIRECTED BY THE HOUSING CHOICE VOUCHER PROGRAM (SECTION 8)
NO MORE!! NO LESS!!
Portability – Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program
“Portability” is defined as the ability for a housing choice voucher holder to move from the jurisdiction of its current housing authority to the jurisdiction of another housing authority operating a Housing Choice Voucher program.
Housing choice voucher holders, who desire to move under portability to Monroe County PA, must contact their current housing authority, and:
- Inform your current housing authority of your interest in porting out to Housing Authority of Monroe County).
- Inform your current housing authority that HAMC only “BILLS” and DOES NOT ABSORB.
- Ask HAMC what is the current payment standard for your eligible bedroom size.
- Once eligibility is determined, then you should request that your housing authority prepare your portability packet.
Portability packets may be forwarded as follows:
Mail: Housing Authority of Monroe County
Attention: Barbara Schlegal
1055 West Main Street
Stroudsburg, PA 18369
Fax: Attention-Barbara 570-421-6958
- Keep in contact with your current housing authority to verify the date your portability packet was forwarded to HAMC.
- When you receive verification from your current housing authority, you shall then contact the HAMC for confirmation that HAMC has received your packet.